Some foods are great for dental health, some are bad for dental health, and then others are just plain terrible for dental health. Here are some of the best, worst, and awful foods and drinks for your teeth.
- Water: this cleans away food debris and fluoridated water strengthens teeth.
- Dairy: contains protein and calcium that rebuild tooth structure.
- Fruits and Vegetables: contain water and fiber to clean teeth and balance sugars.
- Lean Meat: poultry and fish are high in phosphorus and protein that strengthen teeth.
- Sugar-Free Gum: increases saliva flow which reduces the risk for cavities.
- Potato Chips: contain a lot of starch which sticks to your teeth.
- Ice: chewing this can cause teeth to fracture or chip.
- Citrus Fruits: contain acids that eat away at tooth enamel.
- Coffee: high in sugar, stains teeth, and can dry out the mouth if caffeinated.
- Hard Candies: contain sugar and can break teeth.
- Soda: bathes the teeth in sugar and acids.
- Sour Candies: like soda, they also contain harmful sugar and acids.
- Alcohol: dries out the mouth and increases your risk for oral cancer.