Root canal therapy is an endodontic treatment used to restore the health and function of a tooth that is severely decayed, injured, or infected. If decay or injury reaches deep inside the tooth, the dental pulp (the innermost layer of the tooth) and tooth nerves may become infected. Tooth infection can cause several painful symptoms, including:
- Extreme tooth sensitivity, with sensitivity persisting after the hot or cold agent has been removed
- Intense tooth pain, especially when biting or chewing
- A darkening or discoloration of the tooth
- Swelling and tenderness in the nearby gums
- A persistent or recurring pimple on the nearby gums
Dr. Born and Dr. Sudimack, our gentle dentists, may recommend root canal therapy to relieve these symptoms and restore your oral health. During root canal therapy, we will remove the damaged and decayed dental pulp and tooth nerve, clean the tooth, and fill the tooth with a medicated strengthening material. To restore the tooth’s structure and appearance, our dentists will cap the tooth with a dental crown. Our dental team works hard to ensure that root canals in Las Cruces, New Mexico are as comfortable and painless as possible. We welcome you to call or visit us at Dental Associates, PA to learn more.